Coaching focuses on where your teen is in the present and your teen’s goals for the future. Our behavioral health coaches are trained professionals who can work with your teen to identify steps they can take to work on a range of challenges, like relationships, time management, anxiety and depression, and making time for self-care.
If your teen needs additional support to manage their mental health, their coach will help connect them to a therapist. Therapists are licensed clinicians who provide in-depth support to address more significant issues or longstanding patterns. Therapy allows teens to dive deeper into past or present issues to make positive changes in their life.
Psychiatrists are medical doctors who can prescribe medication to manage more severe or enduring symptoms.
Coaching sessions happen through in-app text messaging. Therapy and psychiatry sessions take place through video over a platform called Zoom, either on your teen’s phone through the Headspace Care app, or their computer, whichever they prefer. We recommend your teen finds a quiet, private place where they feel comfortable. Your teen will be placed in a virtual waiting room (just like an in-person clinic). Their clinician will admit them into their session as soon as their clinician is ready and has verified their identity.
Articles in this section
- Do I get the same coach every time?
- How can I chat with my coach?
- What is Headspace Care for Teens?
- Can I specify the gender/ethnicity/specialty of my coach?
- How do I communicate with my coach, therapist, or psychiatrist outside of my scheduled appointments?
- Are my sessions with my coach, therapist, and psychiatrist confidential?
- What should I do if I’m having trouble talking with my parents about my mental health?
- I feel depressed. What should I do?
- What should I do if I am in crisis?
- I have a friend who needs help. What should I do?